Hester Painting & Decorating shares tips on good seasonal preventive maintenance.
With winter just around the corner, now is the time for homeowners to examine their homes for signs of wear and damage and take some preventive measures regarding upkeep. Brutal precipitation and cold can exacerbate small problems. A thorough autumn inspection is a must. “The key to maintaining your home inside and out is to catch issues as early as possible and fix them quickly, before minor repairs lead to costly problems,” explained Jeff Hester, of hester Painting & Decorating. “Fall is an ideal time to give your home a thorough review and prep for the coming weather.”
Hester recommends homeowners take the following steps – or hire a skilled contractor to conduct them – in order to protect their home's value for years to come.
- Painted Areas – Walk around your home's exterior looking for exposed wood. Properly painted areas not only look better, they also protect the home as exposed wood is especially prone to weather damage. Any problem areas should be repaired before winter sets in.
- Gutters – Clear out debris. Leaves and dirt can trap water leading to interior wall and ceiling damage.
- Windows and Doors – Replace any worn weather stripping on exterior doors. Seal gaps and cracks around windows and doors by using caulk on windows to prevent drafts/moisture and to prevent heat loss – keeping energy bills lower.
- Outdoor Furniture – Move your painted or stained patio furniture into the garage or a storage unit. If that is not possible, at least cover the pieces with a secure tarp.
- Exhaust Flaps – Check to make sure all flaps are working properly and are clear of blockage, such as lint or birds' nests. When blockage prevents the warm exhaust air from escaping, himidity can build up in the walls behind the vents.
- Windowsills, Steps, Thresholds and Decks – Flat areas are vulnerable to wear and damage. As best you can, clear your horizontal surfaces of settling snow and water thoughout the winter.
To help Identify areas needing maintenance, Hester Painting & Decorating offers homeowners an Exterior Maintenance Program. This includes a free, comprehensive review of the home's exterior condition, including a detailed evaluation, cost estimates and timelines for suggested repairs. To join or learn more about the program, contact Steve Hester at 847-677-5130 or sign up for an appointment at hesterdecorating.com.